Monday, July 11, 2005

Waikato Blooms

The first thing I did when I moved into my first house at 15 Sheridan Street was to chop down the large tree right in front of my front door. It was blocking my fung shui! The next plant I cut down was a vine growing wild behind the garage. Regrettably, the first one was a Camelia and the vine turned out to be kiwi fruit! I have never seen these plants before I came to NZ. Along the back fence there were some unknown hedges. I left those alone. Every year we had more Feijoa from these hedges than we could eat! I have since learned to be a little slow in cutting down any plant until I know for sure what they are.

These photos were taken over a period of years. The earlier ones were Kodak photos which I added using a scanner.

This is the most lovely car port that I have seen on Storey Avenue, Hamilton, near the swimming pool. If you like Wisteria, please click here to see more or click on [read more] to finish viewing each post.
The Rhododendron is one of the most spectacular flowering trees in New Zealand. When in full bloom in early spring, the tree shows hardly any green leaves! Some of those along River road and on the banks of the Waikato river near Victoria street, are very old, maybe 100 years or more and growing to 10 metres or even more! I saw my first rhododendron on the shores of Lake Taupo in 1995 when we came for our first landing. It has left a lasting impression since that first encounter.





These are plum blossoms on Wellington Street, Hamilton East.One of my favourites is this MagnoliaThis was a surprise, found on Forest Lake Road. There were hardly any leaves on this tree! I stopped my car immediately to take this photo.


This is the biggest rhododendron tree in Hamilton (Airport Road).
Normally this creeper along the fenceline is not particularly significant; but look at it now!

香椿
Siang-chun, 香椿 are in fact not flowers but leaves! In winter all the leaves drop. In early spring, new red leaves suddenly appear. They slowly turn green over the summer months and become less out standing. The seasons in NZ make things very interesting here..
One year, Christine and I were pleasantly surprised by the azaleas in Hamilton Gardens. The hill side facing the rose garden was completely covered with blooms of pink, red and white azaleas. At other times, the same location is covered by camelias or rhododendrons. There is always something new to see there!


This whole street is lined by cherry blossoms! (Clarkin Road)
An unusual purple Rhododendron.

1 comment:

  1. The Flower was violet.
    http://poetrypoem.com/cgi-bin/index.pl?poemnumber=763037&sitename=charlax&password=&poemoffset=0&displaypoem=t&item=poetry
    The Flower was violet.

    There was once a violet flower.
    She grew along a high placed ledge of rock faced stone.
    All the other flowers disappeared in the snow.
    She alone survived and thrived among the rocky thorns.
    A man fell all alone he died in battle.
    Wounded for his men, crying out the namme of his flower.
    He lays beneathe the snow under unmowed grass.
    An ^A^ngel of mye GOD came bye ,
    HE sighed a pretty song, as he placed the violet there.
    In Life is so in Death may be an indian belief.
    All I can rally knoe is that I love her so.
    And when the end of time has come,
    and GOD gives out rewards,
    the two of them will come alive,to never ever sleep.
    She will wash his hands and kiss them then.
    And tell him she loves him so.
    INside the INN of Heaven,they have a place to dwell.
    Where ^A^ngels tell of flowers
    growing roots on old gravestones.

    ReplyDelete